How about Identical Twin Brothers who are Tennis Pros? Meet Angelo Rossetti (far left) and his identical twin brother, Ettore (far right). Two guys with a serious passion for tennis…and for networking. I have gained great insight and skills on effective networking from Angelo Rossetti – an athlete, a businessman and a friend who I hold in high regard. He is a man of the solid integrity and a masterful CONNECTOR.
Ways to Leverage the WHO in your Rolodex
If you want to increase your sphere of influence, then you need to learn HOW to leverage WHO is in your Rolodex (or BlackBerry, or Palm Pilot, or Business card file, or wherever you keep your contact list). Here’s a simple, but powerful networking strategy that Angelo Rossetti taught me and I have put to work for myself with great success:
Angelo’s 50-5-10-2 Networking Strategy
- Identify 50 people you want to cultivate long-term relationships with. Select people from different “spheres” of your life – including your worlds of work, social, community, volunteer, family, past, hobbies, etc. Create a diversified mix of people. There are four simple criteria that I use in selecting the 50 people:
- Make contact with each of these people every 5 weeks
- That means 10 people per week
- Which equals 2 people per day
It all starts with making your LIST of 50. Then you must develop a systemized approach of your networking outreach that you can incorporate into your daily routine.
Tips for Systemizing your Networking Outreach
- Leverage your Commute Time. If you drive to work, call one person during your AM drive and one person during your PM drive. Program their telephone numbers into your cell phone. Schedule in your calendar who you will call each day. Remember to drive safely by using a hands-free headset.
- Become a Postcard Freak. Stock up on interesting postcards and 24 cent stamps. It doesn’t really matter what’s on the front of the postcard; what matters is what you personally write on the back. Everyone likes getting a postcard. Less work than opening an envelop, reading the lengthy letter…..and “please don’t send me an email. I have 150 already in my inbox.”
- Keep in Touch using On-line Services. Plaxo.com has an interesting offering. LinkedIn.com will connect you to people you’ve lost touch with. Cards You Remember allows you to more easily stay in touch with the people on your list by creating on-line and mailing off-line your personal postcards and note cards. Upload your list and schedule the mail outs. You just have to type the message. They take care of the rest. It’s easy and fun to send and to receive. (mention The Marketing Motivator and my networking friend, D’vorah Lansky will give you a free trial account or call her at 860.430-9268)
- Make More Time to Network. Are you time starved? Read my article Reclaim Your Day_6 motivating tips to find more time