Our recent Hair Raiser was a complete success and blast. Watch this beautiful video that Dom Piccini Productions created to capture the spirit of this fund raising event that benefited Shining Hope for Communities that operates the Kibera School for Girls in Africa.
A total of 10 people shaved their heads for charity: Kathy, Kathleen, Byron, Alberto, Wilberto, Michael, Ivan, Doug, Kathy and Bill. Thank you! My immediate family – husband and two sons – joined in to show their solidarity. My parents, who live out of state – also shaved their heads to help support me and my fight against cancer!
We had about 60 guests at the Hair Raiser event in West Hartford, CT on May 13, 2011. The energy was fantastic. It made shaving my head a happy event rather than a pity party that it might have been.
We raised over $3,000 for Shining Hope for Communities.Isn’t that great!
If you’d like to help to raise more money so that we can educate more girls in Africa, go ahead and donate $25 or more to https://shininghopeforcommunities.org/support/
Please enjoy these photos from the Hair Raiser event on May 13, 2011 at the KUR Hair Salon & Academy in West Hartford, CT. All photos courtesy of Marge & Dom Piccini.
Fund Raising Goals
So far, we have raised $2,365 versus our goal of $3,000. Just a little bit more to go.
You can help us do the happy dance by making your financial donation at www.MothersDayMovement.com. Be sure to type in “MDM-kathy mcafee” in the purpose box, so we can do a proper accounting.
All the proceeds will go to Shining Hope for Communities, a 501 (3)c non-profit organization that is building a tuition-free school for girls in the Kibera slum located in Nairobi, Kenya in Africa.
There is so much need to keep these girls in school. It helps to protect them from sexual trafficking, abuse and violence, early marriage and pre-mature death. It helps give them more social and economic power so that they can become respected members of their family and community. Educating girls has proven to be a great solution to end the cycle of extreme poverty.
- Help us to help the Kibera School for Girls by providing funds to keep the tuition-free school going and change the lives of these girls and their families.
- Follow their story – like them on Facebook
Special thanks to our sponsors and supporters of the Hair Raiser event:
- Karen Roche, owner of the KUR Hair Salon & Academy, who shaved all 10 heads!
- Soroptimist International of Farmington Valley CT who educates, informs and activates women to help other women and girls locally and around the world;
- Marge Piccini and Dom Piccini Productions who provided the photography and videography;
- Susan Nolte of the May Cookie Co. who donated the delicious, wholesome cookies!
- YWCA Hartford Region who helped with the beverages;
- Rachel who provided the delicious food!
- Schon Designs LLC to provided the T-shirts for the brave souls who shaved their heads;
- Sandy Centorino from CUREchief.org foundation who donated the colorful head coverings for the shaved volunteers;
- Mary Jones, host of the Mary Jones Show – who provided the pre-event radio interview, publicity & great connections!